Goodguys AutoCross Racers gear up for 2020 Duel in the Desert
Goodguys 2019 AutoCrosser of the Year shown above – Bruce Cambern’s 1966 427 Shelby Cobra – Driven by Scott Fraser
AutoCross drivers suit up! The season-ending 2020 Duel in the Desert shootout will take place November 20-22 at WestWorld in Scottsdale at the 23rd Speedway Motors Southwest Nationals presented by Barrett-Jackson.
The winner of the 2020 Duel in the Desert will be crowned the Goodguys 2020 FAST AutoCrosser of the Year earning national bragging rights for the following season. The shootout will be ran a little different in 2020 – this year the 32-car qualified field will be a completely race-in field, no pre-qualified entries, meaning the baddest 32 cars on the grounds will race head-to-head on an elimination-style ladder until there is only one left standing!
American Racing | K&N | Lecarra | OPTIMA | Speedway Motors
1. First off, your vehicle has to meet the following criteria to be considered for the competition:
- All cars 1987 and older that represent a production car can compete to qualify
- Be present and compete at the 23rd Southwest Nationals in Scottsdale, AZ
- Must comply with any of the Five (5) Goodguys AutoCross class rules – PRO-X, PRO, Street Machine, Truck, or Hot Rod
2. How can I compete for a chance to win the 2020 AutoCrosser of the Year Title?
-Friday November 20th-
- Drivers meeting 8:30am
- This will be an open field Friday; all AutoCross entries have the chance to race in and qualify for the 32-car field
- Tech opens 7am-12pm (all competing cars must pass tech by 12pm Friday)
- All entries must meet current general rules in place
- Cars are pitted by first come first served
- Qualifying runs begin at 9am-12pm
- Lunch break 12pm-1pm
- Qualifying rounds continue 1pm-5pm to determine fastest 32 cars to compose the 32-car field
- Fastest 32-car field set at end of day Friday
- Track closed 5pm
-Saturday November 21st-
- Drivers meeting 8am
- Qualifying runs for the fastest 32 cars run from 8:30am-12pm
- Lunch break 12pm-12:30pm
- Final qualifying runs continue 12:30pm-1:30pm (time permitting)
- Break rule – if a qualifying car makes the 32-car field but breaks, the next fastest car advances into the 32-car field
- Final 32-car Ladder set and eliminations begin at 2pm
- Once the final ladder is set and a car cannot make the call, the other car in the paring automatically advances
- 2020 Duel in the Desert and Autocrosser of the Year winner decided by 4pm
- Group photo with all 32 cars for Goodguys Gazette immediately following final round eliminations
3. And how about the overall winner? How is it selected?
- The last driver standing at the end of the 32-car Duel in the Desert elimination ladder will be crowned the Goodguys 2020 FAST AutoCrosser of the Year.
4. What does the winner receive for having the fastest AutoCross vehicle in the country?
- National bragging rights
- Beautiful billet aluminum award from Goodguys
- RaceDeck garage flooring
- Display Stanchion from Hot Rod Halo
- Car Care products from Meguiar’s
- Full color feature in the Goodguys Magazine and Yearbook
- Special feature on FuelCurve.com