Goodguys’ 2021 Custom Rod of the Year Competition Almost Underway!
That’s right! Each year, Goodguys heads out on the road in search of America’s coolest 1949-1972 Custom Rod that tastefully blends customizing techniques with modern performance and engineering. And when we find it, we crown it, honor it, and give it the title of Goodguys / Vintage Air Custom Rod of the Year! It’s all part of our annual Goodguys “Top 12” cars and trucks of the year campaign and it’s one of the hottest awards programs in the country!
So how can you get involved and get your truck on the radar for this prestigious award? Well here’s the lowdown…
1. First off, your car has to meet the following criteria to be considered for the award:
- Custom Rods 1949 through 1972 vintage are eligible
- Attend any of the events listed below with your custom rod and park in either the Builder’s Choice area or Indoor display area (where applicable) and you’ll have a chance to be selected as a finalist! One finalist will be chosen from each of the five events listed.
- A custom rod is defined as a custom car that tastefully blends customizing techniques or factory stock bodies with modern day performance, engineering, components, and styling.
2. So how are “Regional Finalists” selected?
- (1) “Regional Finalist” that fits the award criteria will be selected from each of the events listed below will be selected by the Goodguys awards staff. This method benefits participants from all regions of the country – east to west, north to south – instead of limiting the award to a certain region and certain event.
3. What events can I compete to be a “Regional Finalist” at in 2021?
- 29th Speedway Motors Heartland Nationals, July 3-5, 2020 Des Moines, IA (selected finalist shown below)
- 11th LMC Truck Spring Lone Star Nationals, March 12-14, 2021 Ft. Worth, TX
- 11th FiTech Fuel Injection Spring Nationals, April 16-18, 2021 Scottsdale, AZ
- 6th Griot’s Garage North Carolina Nationals, April 23-25, 2021 Raleigh, NC
- 15th BASF Nashville Nationals, May 28-30, 2021 Nashville, TN
- 30th Speedway Motors Heartland Nationals, July 2-4, 2021 Des Moines, IA
- 23rd Colorado Nationals, September 10-12, 2021 Loveland, CO
- 20th Meguiar’s Del Mar Nationals, October 1-3, 2021 Del Mar, CA
4. And how about the overall winner? How is it selected?
- Once all (8) “Regional Finalists” are selected, a team of Goodguys staff and select non-partisan builders and manufacturers from across the country will vote on and select the overall winner of the award.
- Overall Winner will be announced on Friday, October 8th, 2021
5. What does the winner receive for having the coolest Custom Rod in the country?
- National bragging rights
- Beautiful billet aluminum award from Goodguys
- RaceDeck garage flooring
- Car Care products from Meguiar’s
- 10×10 E-Z UP canopy
- Full color feature in the Goodguys Magazine and Yearbook
- Special feature on FuelCurve.com
- Exclusive invitation and travel accommodations to the season-ending Goodguys 24th Southwest Nationals in Scottsdale, AZ where all of the “Top 12” cars and trucks of the year will be on display